Preventive Dentistry Leichhardt
Preventive dentistry aims to keep your mouth healthy — this aids in avoiding gum disease, tooth decay, plaque build-up, tooth loss and other oral health problems.
The two main causes of tooth loss are decay and gum diseases. The earlier you prevent these problems, the more chance you will have of keeping your teeth for life.
Prevention can be practised at home by brushing your teeth at least two times a day and visiting your Leichhardt dentist for routine check-ups and professional cleanings. These are followed to ensure the teeth are clean and healthy.
Common Preventive Dentistry Services
Our preventive dentistry services include:
Dental check-ups, usually twice a year.
Since most dental problems don’t usually come with pain at first, if you don’t visit your dentist, you may not be aware of these until they cause more significant damage.
Scale and clean
A scale and clean is recommended every two times a year to remove plaque build-up and stains that can’t be removed by simple brushing and flossing, as well as to check for signs of tooth decay.
X-rays allow your Leichhardt dentist to look for symptoms of problems that are not visible during examinations, such as tooth decay and gum problems.
Mouthguards particularly a custom-made mouthguard designed by your Leichhardt dentist — can be worn during sports and recreation activities to protect teeth against injuries.
Your Role in Prevention
Developing healthy dental habits early on can help lessen the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other severe dental problems.
Here are our tips in keeping optimum oral health:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Floss once a day to remove food stuck between teeth and under the gums.
- Rinse out food particles after flossing using a fluoride mouthwash.
- Limit your intake of acidic foods and beverages.
- Don’t smoke – this can lead to cancer and other dental problems.
- Wear a mouthguard and other protective gears when playing contact sports or participating in leisure activities.
- For people who grind their teeth at night, ask your dentist for a night-time mouthguard to help reduce gum recession.
Preventive Dentistry in Leichhardt
Prevention is always better than cure.
At My Local Dentists (previously Leichhardt Marketplace Dental), we provide preventive dental services that will help you maintain your oral health and prevent dental issues from occurring.
Request an appointment with your dentist in Leichhardt today.
We are located at Shop 48, Leichhardt Marketplace Shopping Centre, 122-138 Flood Street in Leichhardt.